Vincent Longa

MG Deathscythe Hell WIP 4

Vincent Longa
MG Deathscythe Hell WIP 4

 

Paint time! With scribing/etching/filing details done it's finally time for paint!!!! I love this step because it is very satisfying taking parts and changing their color completely. It really transforms the look of a Gundam and you can watch it happen right before your eyes.

Along with painting I'll be removing seam lines. The seam lines on his kit present a unique challenge. It's a multi step process but hopefully getting rid of some seam lines will give the kit a cleaner look. The seam lines on the wings run pretty much along the whole inside edges of the wings, and they assemble in a such a way that if you glue them you can't break down the wing assembly into individual parts. I may have to mask, assemble, remove seam lines and paint like I'm doing with the shoulders, but I might leave them as-is instead. It depends on how much time I have and how the seam lines look after the wings are snapped together.

Onto some pics! I'm so excited to see some paint on this kit! Enjoy :)

The metallic red parts are frame parts for the wings. This red is a bit more pink than I wanted, but I think it'll contrast well with the deep red I'll be using on the wings. I'll be masking these off before assembling the wings, then painting the wings a different color. The fit on the wings is pretty tight and I'm going for a glossy color scheme, which is why I'm snapping them together first then painting.

The metallic red parts are frame parts for the wings. This red is a bit more pink than I wanted, but I think it'll contrast well with the deep red I'll be using on the wings. I'll be masking these off before assembling the wings, then painting the wings a different color. The fit on the wings is pretty tight and I'm going for a glossy color scheme, which is why I'm snapping them together first then painting.

The 5 parts here are the first candy ruby red parts I've painted and they came out stellar! I painted Alclad candy ruby red over Mr Color metallic ice silver and it looks great. This is the color I'm going for on the wings, but I may switch it up a little.

The 5 parts here are the first candy ruby red parts I've painted and they came out stellar! I painted Alclad candy ruby red over Mr Color metallic ice silver and it looks great. This is the color I'm going for on the wings, but I may switch it up a little.

Look at that purple! I test fit some armor parts over the purple frame and it REALLY shines through! Purple was a bold choice but I think it will pay off in the end.

Look at that purple! I test fit some armor parts over the purple frame and it REALLY shines through! Purple was a bold choice but I think it will pay off in the end.

These are the shoulders. On the right is the inner frame parts painted and assembled inside the shoulder. Because of how it assembles, I painted the inner frame, masked it off and now I'm ready to remove the seam line down the middle. Then there is another piece that goes on top once it's painted. That top piece will be a different color and may also require seam line removal. Lots of masking in my future! 

These are the shoulders. On the right is the inner frame parts painted and assembled inside the shoulder. Because of how it assembles, I painted the inner frame, masked it off and now I'm ready to remove the seam line down the middle. Then there is another piece that goes on top once it's painted. That top piece will be a different color and may also require seam line removal. Lots of masking in my future! 

I went a little overboard on the filing while removing seam lines on top of the head, oops! 

I went a little overboard on the filing while removing seam lines on top of the head, oops! 

A little putty should do the trick and make the head straight again, after its sanded down smooth.

A little putty should do the trick and make the head straight again, after its sanded down smooth.

The wire mesh I tried to use wasn't working out so I found some photo etched mesh. It looks great! I'll have to mask it off before painting to keep that metal look nice and pristine. 

The wire mesh I tried to use wasn't working out so I found some photo etched mesh. It looks great! I'll have to mask it off before painting to keep that metal look nice and pristine. 

Bonus pic! I learned how to make pork katsu bowls :) YUM! 

Bonus pic! I learned how to make pork katsu bowls :) YUM! 

That's all for now. Next up is more seam line removal and painting the main armor parts and wings. After everything is painted it'll be time for decals and panel lines. Until next time, keep building!