Vincent Longa

MG Deathscythe Hell WIP 1

Vincent Longa
MG Deathscythe Hell WIP 1

 

Im excited to get to this kit! I've had it in my backlog since September and it's been calling my name... Those WINGS are just so sweet! I'm trying a lot of new techniques with this kit, focusing on adding details by cutting and scraping plastic away from the kit. Joshua Darrah's style and approach to modeling is a big influence for me trying these techniques, specifically what he covers in this video of him giving a demonstration in Singapore. If you're interested in modeling in any capacity, that video should be mandatory viewing. Ok, onto the first pics! 

Snapped up and ready to be CUT! I like the colors for this kit. When it comes time for paint I think I'll either go with colors close to the original or something completely different. I think dark red and black would look good. 

Snapped up and ready to be CUT! I like the colors for this kit. When it comes time for paint I think I'll either go with colors close to the original or something completely different. I think dark red and black would look good. 

My first time using a scriber and it's not even for making panel lines! I'm using it to cut out these sections on the inside of the wings. I start by lightly tracing the outline of the detail, then once a nice groove is laid down I press harder on each pass until it's through. Then I punch out the corners with a sharp hobby knife. It's slower than cutting or drilling, but the results are clean and require very little cleanup.

My first time using a scriber and it's not even for making panel lines! I'm using it to cut out these sections on the inside of the wings. I start by lightly tracing the outline of the detail, then once a nice groove is laid down I press harder on each pass until it's through. Then I punch out the corners with a sharp hobby knife. It's slower than cutting or drilling, but the results are clean and require very little cleanup.

After a few hours, all 6 sections are cut out. Tons of black plastic shavings got all over the place! I want to put some metal mesh in these rectangular holes, and maybe paint the mesh a bright red.

After a few hours, all 6 sections are cut out. Tons of black plastic shavings got all over the place! I want to put some metal mesh in these rectangular holes, and maybe paint the mesh a bright red.

This is the first Darrah inspired detail I added. I etched notches in the edges of the side skirts using a small file. I used a piece of dymo tape (autocorrect changed that to "dump tape" and I kinda like that... anyway) to guide the file until a groove was formed (DUMP tape, lol!), then I went at it with the file. I cleaned it up with a sharp hobby knife and some sanding. This was pretty easy to do, except for the nervousness I felt when I made the first marks. 

This is the first Darrah inspired detail I added. I etched notches in the edges of the side skirts using a small file. I used a piece of dymo tape (autocorrect changed that to "dump tape" and I kinda like that... anyway) to guide the file until a groove was formed (DUMP tape, lol!), then I went at it with the file. I cleaned it up with a sharp hobby knife and some sanding. This was pretty easy to do, except for the nervousness I felt when I made the first marks. 

Same detail at a different angle.

Same detail at a different angle.

Right leg is before, left is after. This is basically the same technique but wider and along a seam line. The idea is to turn the seam line into a detail instead of trying to remove it. 

Right leg is before, left is after. This is basically the same technique but wider and along a seam line. The idea is to turn the seam line into a detail instead of trying to remove it. 

Same technique near the top of the leg, but this seam was 3 lines. It was already a detail but making a gap into the middle of the line accents it nicely, and gives a peek at the inner frame.

Same technique near the top of the leg, but this seam was 3 lines. It was already a detail but making a gap into the middle of the line accents it nicely, and gives a peek at the inner frame.

I tried a little armor separation here. For this section I drew lines with a pencil where I wanted to cut away (that little rectangular gap between the cuff and the arm armor), then cut the plastic with my nippers and cleaned it up with a file, then hobby knife, then sanding. This adds breaks up the flat area above the hands and also gives a look at the inner frame. 

I tried a little armor separation here. For this section I drew lines with a pencil where I wanted to cut away (that little rectangular gap between the cuff and the arm armor), then cut the plastic with my nippers and cleaned it up with a file, then hobby knife, then sanding. This adds breaks up the flat area above the hands and also gives a look at the inner frame. 

I'm excited to add more details all over this kit! It's nerve wracking at first but once you get going it is VERY rewarding and not nearly as difficult as it seems. I'm going to spend a couple more weeks doing this and trying some more techniques like panel lining, drilling detail holes, using chisels and a little pla plate. Until next time, keep building!